Tuesday, June 23, 2009

64 --- Free afternoon: Marie Odile

Marie Odile writes:

I went with Michèle and Alain to the National Gallery, but there we separated because we wanted to see different things. I wanted to go to the Renaissance department (I'm a fan of the Early Italian painting---in French it's "primitif" *). I was amazed by the comments which we could read on little papers next to each picture. In just a few sentences you understand what is of particular interest in the painting. I had a marvellous time in this museum and would like to return there some other time.

Then I went to Harrods and admired the food department




and bought a nice little marmelade jar to put my homemade marmelade in. So now I have something to remind me of London every morning at breakfast time.

After visiting Harrods we met up with Simone to walk to the theater to see Billy Elliot. On the way there, we saw beautiful red brick houses






and remembered that it would soon be Easter


and we saw that spring was already here.



Marie Odile
_________________________________________________
*Early Italian painting dates from around 1300 to 1500. I read that the French term "primitif" was perhaps invented in the 1920s.